Moving legacy infrastructure into VPC

Nir Ben-Dor

08 Nov, 2017 05:11 PM

Hi,

I use scalr for many years. When I started AWS VPC was not mainstream. Now AWS new services like RDS Aurora require VPC.

I would like to move all my 20 servers including db, app , memcache to VPC but it seems like an impossible mission unless I do it in one time move which will cause a huge downtime and is completely out of the question.

This gets even worse since Scalr doesnt support classiclink which is required to move the infrastructure piece by piece.

Do you have any best practices /tutorial or can assist based on your experience to, help me understand how to move everything to VPC efficiently with minimal downtime?

Thnaks,
Nir

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by marc on 14 Nov, 2017 08:26 PM

Hi Nir,

Thank you for the inquiry. There is not an easy way to do this with no downtime at all. You will need to stand up a new Farm in Scalr within your desired VPC and start moving services one by one as you replicate the application stack in the new Farm. Downtime should be minimal, but you will experience some when you cut over each service from the old network to the new VPC. Let us know if you have any further questions on this.

Many thanks,
    Wm. Marc O'Brien
    Scalr Technical Support

2. 2 Posted by Nir Ben-Dor on 16 Nov, 2017 09:48 AM

Hi Marc,

Thanks for answering.

I need to do some homework about this. I will get back to you with specific
    questions in due time.

BR,
    - Nir

3. Nir Ben-Dor closed this discussion on 08 Dec, 2017 08:44 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac