Volumes not available

Arie Fishler

14 Jan, 2015 09:33 AM

Hi Guys,
I had a role platform-percona56-ubuntu1404 configured with a storage EBS volume. I removed this volume from the role.
I have not seen these volumes attached to the servers of that role become available. Can I assume that on a live server you do not handle unmounting it?

I also did a manual umount on one of the volumes? And still, did not see it become available (still registered as "in use" on the status column

Now, this is a DB role. How can I exactly make the volumes available and make sure also I am not umounting the actual DB volume?

Farm #923

Thanks,
Arie

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Marat Komarov on 20 Jan, 2015 11:51 AM

When storage removed from configuration in farm designer, Scalr doesn't touch volumes on running servers.

Percona volume configuration is available as JSON file on server in directory /etc/scalr/private.d/storage You can get device name from there.

Regards,
    Marat

2. 2 Posted by Arie Fishler on 20 Jan, 2015 12:03 PM

Thanks Marat. I am just asking to make sure I do not do a mistake here.

I looked into the json file and see that the name of the device indicated is
    /dev/sdh - by the way, on the file I also see a field called device with value /dev/xvdh - what is this value?

If I have another volume that I see on the listed volumes as /dev/sdg - I assume this volume is the one I can remove (not in use - not in the config file). If I umounted the directory and did not see this volume become available - how to I free this volume on /dev/sdg?

Thanks,
    Arie

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Marat Komarov on 20 Jan, 2015 02:01 PM

You should call "detach" action for this volume from EC2 console.

Regards,
    Marat

4. 4 Posted by Arie Fishler on 20 Jan, 2015 02:05 PM

Cool. Thanks!

5. 5 Posted by Arie Fishler on 21 Jan, 2015 08:08 AM

Thanks Marat I detached the volumes. I still have one that will not detach and I cannot see it on the df -k list. It says "busy" when trying to detach it.
    vol-eba4d3a2

Can you take a look?

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Marat Komarov on 21 Jan, 2015 08:42 AM

It's attached as /dev/sdh, and available in OS as /dev/xvdh. It's a database storage volume.

7. 7 Posted by Arie Fishler on 21 Jan, 2015 11:14 AM

But this is not a volume that appears in the configuration file you pointed out, so what kind of database storage would it be. This is also attached to the slave but the master has no similar volume at all.

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Marat Komarov on 22 Jan, 2015 12:44 PM

On Slave /dev/sdi and /dev/sdh are both mounted to /dev/dbstorage. While /dev/sdi is a regular Slave volume, /dev/sdh according to logs was mounted as a Storage volume a long before.

To remove /dev/sdh you should stop MySQL daemon, umount /dev/dbstorage twice and restart Scalarizr daemon.

After that you can detach volume from AWS console

Regards,
    Marat

9. 9 Posted by Arie Fishler on 22 Jan, 2015 12:54 PM

Thanks!!

10. Marat Komarov closed this discussion on 04 Feb, 2015 07:45 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac