Why is the usage of Elastic Load Balancer limited to one per role only?

Arie Fishler

26 Nov, 2014 03:52 PM

Let's say I need an endpoint for specific services on the same servers with a different timeout setting (and a different domain name)...I cannot define it in Scalr as the network tab allows only a single ELB definition.

Thanks,
Arie

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Igor Savchenko on 26 Nov, 2014 10:45 PM

This limitation was added long time ago due to some technical constrains. We have plans to remove it, but right now it's minor priority. As workaround, you can use Orchestration or WebHooks to add custom integration with ELB.

Regards,
    Igor

2. 2 Posted by Arie Fishler on 27 Nov, 2014 08:09 AM

Thanks Igor. Can you elaborate a little on the options you described so I will have a better understanding of what you suggest?

3. 3 Posted by Thomas Orozco on 08 Dec, 2014 03:31 PM

Hi Arie,

Using Orchestration, you would basically create a script that registers the triggering instance with your ELB(s) at HostUp, and de-registers it at BeforeHostTerminate.

One issue with that, however, is that if your instance crashes, it can't run the BeforeHostTerminate script. One option would be to run the de-registration script on all instances of the Farm (so the other instances will de-register the one that crashes), another is to use Webhooks.

Using Webhooks, you setup and endpoint that will listen to HostUp and BeforeHostTerminate Events. When the former fires, you register the instance with ELB. When the latter fires, you de-register it.

Does this make sense?

Cheers,

4. marc closed this discussion on 22 Jul, 2016 09:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

02 Jul, 2019 07:54 PM
07 Jun, 2019 07:12 PM
02 May, 2019 04:04 PM